Go Behind the Scenes of the Creation of Dual Universe’s Style-Defying Sci-Fi Soundtrack
Today, Novaquark is excited to unveil a behind the scenes look into the creation of the soundtrack for upcoming civilization-building MMO, Dual Universe. In this new video, Maxime Ferrieu, Novaquark Audio Lead and Composer, shares the method behind his ambitious sci-fi composition, drawing upon his history with both orchestral and ambient electronic music. Said Maxime, “it’s not every day that you get the chance to be part of such an ambitious project. For us, as players, it’s kind of a childhood dream come true.”
Dual Universe takes place after the destruction of Earth as humanity reaches to the stars, colonizing new planets as a means of ensuring its continued survival. By mixing classical orchestral music with electronic music, Maxime has brought to life this duality between the existential crisis facing humanity and the futuristic drive behind this universe of science fiction technology.
A fan of video games and a graduate of Paris’ ISART Digital in music and sound design, Maxime Ferrieu began his career as a freelance sound designer and composer before discovering Dual Universe one fateful day in 2014. According to Maxime, “That very same night feeling inspired I composed two pieces of music. I sent them to [Jean-Christophe Baillie], the creator of the game. Then the next day, totally unexpected, I got a call and was invited in for a chat.”
This is how, with a touch of audacity and a lot of creativity, Maxime Ferrieu and Novaquark came to join forces. Seeking to closely tie players’ auditory experience into their gameplay, Maxime’s unique compositions perfectly illustrate the immersive spaces (let alone outer space itself) ofDual Universe where players are given free rein to leverage their imagination and creativity, rebuilding the universe in their image.
Dual Universe Key Features:
- UNIVERSE (available in test version): The first fully editable universe made for players by players. The only limit is your imagination! Gather your friends and build on a truly epic scale, from ships, cities and space stations, to Lua scripted puzzles and interactive constructs.
- MASSIVE (available in test version): Dual Universe is the first game where potentially millions of players can interact together simultaneously, inside the same giant universe. We call it the Continuous Single Shard Cluster (CSSC) technology. This proprietary technology means no multi-server player separation, instances or loading times, just one enormous, persistent universe.
- EXPLORATION (partially available in test version): Explore & Discover new worlds with your friends, find rare resources and build the greatest place in the universe. Will you be a nomad treasure hunter, or a calculating profiteer?
- ECONOMY (work in progress): Dual Universe will have the most realistic economy system ever made in a game. From weapons and tools, to spaceships and giant space stations, build and trade everything to everyone – at your price – on your own market.
- WARFARE (work in progress): Fight for supremacy, resource control or geostrategic advantage, as you join with fellow players and create your own defense systems, build warships, cities and space stations. Will you defend yourself or lay waste to your enemies?
- POLITICS (work in progress): Be a lone wolf or choose an organization or build your own, hire new players, fight other alliances, cut deals with them or rule your own part of the Universe with this completely open political landscape, full of emergent gameplay opportunities.
Dual Universe is available now in its Alpha 1 phase, with Alpha 2 slated to arrive in the first half of 2019.