The Child Prodigy Nekone is All Business in Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
Ukon the smooth talking mercenary was introduced recently, but did you know he has a little sister who’s the exact opposite of him? Her name is Nekone and she just so happens to be quite the child prodigy. While Ukon is out and about with his mercenary bros, Nekone is busy being an overachiever in the Imperial Capital. She’s incredibly intelligent and has passed numerous exams in the pursuit of becoming a full-fledged Scholar of Philosophy (unfortunately, Imperial officials can’t seem to look past her age). While Haku’s lazy personality may irritate her, she worships Ukon and develops a close bond with Kuon. Although Nekone’s just a child, she acts as a great healer in battle and proves to be a gifted strategist.
There’s a lot at stake in Mask of Deception, but the epic story of Utawarerumono concludes in Mask of Truth.
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception features:
- An Unforgettable Story – Mask of Deception offers a story-rich visual novel experience (40-50+ hours long) that lets players shape the future of a fully realized world filled with fantastical lore and history! Mask of Deception sets up the story for a thrilling conclusion in Mask of Truth, and we’ll reveal more information about the final game at a later date.
- An Active SRPG Battle System – Players will need to defend Haku and his friends by engaging in intense SRPG combat with the various hostiles that populate the world. The battle system is a thrilling mix of turn-based tactics and Attack Chain mechanics. Players can remain active during combat by successfully completing timing-based charging rings to execute critical attacks or vital dodges/blocks.
- Fully Fleshed Out Combat – Unique combat features such as the rewind function, elemental affinities/weaknesses, unique character skills, and more add a layer of depth to fights. It’ll take true tactical acumen to emerge victorious in battle!
- Breathtaking Art – With a stunning art style and beautifully rendered cutscenes, the game is a feast for the eyes for Japanese visual novel and anime aficionados!
- Beautiful Songs and a Thrilling Score – The rousing music, recorded and remastered at the legendary Abbey Road Studios and EastWest Studios, is a perfect soundtrack to accompany a great adventure.
Both Utawarerumono games will be released on PS4 and PlayStation Vita in both physical and digital formats. Mask of Deception launches May 23rd, and the game’s direct sequel, Mask of Truth will release later in the year with English text and the original Japanese audio.