Mask of Deception is a grand tale meant to enchant the hearts and minds of players in search of incredible journey. The game begins atop a snowy mountain where the protagonist awakens in an unfamiliar wilderness, surrounded by deadly creatures, with nothing but a hospital gown and a splitting headache.
While the mysterious amnesiac Haku is the main character in Mask of Deception, he would be monster food if it wasn’t for the adorable, yet strong, Kuon. She’s a mysterious traveler who rescues Haku in the beginning of the game and eventually becomes his “guardian.” While not much is known about her past, she’s an intelligent and free-spirited woman who’s an apothecary by trade.
The polar opposite of Haku, Kuon is a responsible person who always gets the job done. Oh, and she’s quite useful during battles too. She a scrappy fighter who prefers the intimacy of hand-to-hand combat, and her knowledge of herbology and medicines lets her act as an effective healer. Kuon is definitely someone Haku needs to have on his side for the events to come…
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception features:
- An Unforgettable Story – Mask of Deception offers a story-rich visual novel experience (40-50+ hours long) that lets players shape the future of a fully realized world filled with fantastical lore and history! Mask of Deception sets up the story for a thrilling conclusion in Mask of Truth, and we’ll reveal more information about the final game at a later date.
- An Active SRPG Battle System – Players will need to defend Haku and his friends by engaging in intense SRPG combat with the various hostiles that populate the world. The battle system is a thrilling mix of turn-based tactics and Attack Chain mechanics. Players can remain active during combat by successfully completing timing-based charging rings to execute critical attacks or vital dodges/blocks.
- Fully Fleshed Out Combat – Unique combat features such as the rewind function, elemental affinities/weaknesses, unique character skills, and more add a layer of depth to fights. It’ll take true tactical acumen to emerge victorious in battle!
- Breathtaking Art – With a stunning art style and beautifully rendered cutscenes, the game is a feast for the eyes for Japanese visual novel and anime aficionados!
- Beautiful Songs and a Thrilling Score – The rousing music, recorded and remastered at the legendary Abbey Road Studios and EastWest Studios, is a perfect soundtrack to accompany a great adventure.
Utawarerumono Mask of Deception will release on May 23 on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita in both physical and digital formats. The game’s direct sequel, Mask of Truth will release later in the year with English text and the original Japanese audio. For both games, the PS4 version will be $49.99, and the PS Vita version will be $39.99