Seventeen-year-old music phenom, Willa Amai has been tapped as one of the INDIVIDUALS Shine as Gap Amplifies Voices Through Diverse Ensemble of Modern Changemakers Campaign. Gap continues to champion modern American optimism by celebrating INDIVIDULAS who represent the positive impact of being your true self. Gap’s Fall 2021 adult campaign amplifies the voices of a distinct and diverse cast that better represents all of us. These individuals transcend race, gender, age, abilities, and talents as catalysts for change, reflecting what’s possible from anyone.
The INDIVIDUALS campaign includes positively energetic culture shapers, ranging from an award-wining Chinese filmmaker to a Black Deaf BASL activist to an aspiring, young astronaut, to an aspiring young astronaut, who define their creativity, self-expression and personal style. inspired by a unique take on the concept of “15 minutes of fame,” the campaign captures the essence of the INDIVIUSALS in just 15 seconds.
- Willa Amai (@willaamai), 17-year-old mental health advocate and singer-songwriter who is releasing “Blows By,” her new music video filmed during the Gap campaign that breaks today
- Chloé Zhao, award-winning Chinese director, writer, editor and producer
- JaShaun St.John (@jashaunstjohn), Native actress discovered by Chloé Zhao, amplifying her Lakota tribe
- Alyssa Carson (@nasablueberry), 20-year-old space enthusiast, educator, aquanaut and aspiring astronaut, pursuing her dream to travel to Mars
- Angus Cloud (@AngusCloud), irreverent Irish American actor, staying true to himself
- Nakia Smith (@itscharmay), influencer and BASL activist for the Black Deaf community who advocates for all to be seen and heard
- The Ebinum Brothers, Victory & Marvel (@ebinumbrothers), Nigerian brothers and artistic communicators using the medium of dance to showcase movement as a method to speak about life, ecology and belonging
- Helena Howard (@helenahoward_officially), multiethnic, breakout actress acclaimed for her coming-of-age performances
- Delfin Finley (@delfin), dynamic Los Angeles-based visual artist with an activist upbringing
- Kailand Morris (@kailandmorris), philanthropist, model, designer and musician, combining influences from all disciplines to forge his unique path
“This dimensional cast of INDIVIDUALS embodies modern American optimism,” says Mary Alderete, global head of Gap marketing. “Gap continues to amplify the voices of changemaking and culture shaping INDIVIDUALS, celebrating who they are and what makes them a true representation of the voices of today. These incredible individuals characterize an optimistic future fueled by creativity, possibility and unity.”
The campaign was concepted by Gap Global Creative Director, Len Peltier, directed by Christian Weber with portraits shot by renowned photographer Mark Seliger – INDIVIDUALS and creative visionaries in their own right. Weber and Seliger have been capturing signature Gap creative for years, spanning from the 1990s to today.
“BLOWS BY,” being the 5th single from Amai’s debut album, I CAN GO TO BED WHENEVER, is the song that is being used in Amai’s 15 second teaser and is the upcoming video that was also shot as an accompanying video from this GAP campaign. “I am so beyond thrilled and honored to be apart of this GAP campaign. Advocating for activism and individuality has always been so important to me, and I will forever be indebted to Gap and everyone who worked on this project for allowing me to do that!”
As Amai continues to rise, the industry will undoubtedly notice, and the fans will soak in her honesty. If truth is what her mentor Linda Perry was looking for, well she hit the motherload.